Assessment of Capacity, Success, and Challenges of Farmers Training Center in Southwest Ethiopia

Amanuel Afeto, Tesfaye Gafaro, Yishak Shitaye


FTCs are established to provide extension including capacity development on use of improved farming technologies, market-oriented information, communication and advisory services. The main aim of this study is to assess capacity, success, and challenges of farmers training center for the better of farmers and the effectiveness of extension service provision in Kaffa and Bench-sheko zones. The study were undertaken in Gimbo and Chena district of Kaffa zone and Semen bench district of Bench sheko zone. Data for this study were collected from primary sources through household survey, key informant interview, focus group discussion and field observation and from published and unpublished secondary sources. The finding indicates that FTCs in the study area are better by human resources, office, meeting hall, store and demonstration field. However those sample FTCs are not well equipped and there is a functionality problem on majority of facilities. In the study area FTCs gives much attention to crop activity demonstration, not to livestock and NRM activities. Adoption of crop technology was very low in the study area, which includes the utilization of improved crop variety except maize and coffee, is less than 10%, the utilization of inorganic fertilizer are less than 50% and still the majority of farmers are broadcasting their seeds. The finding indicates that productivity of crop in the study area were very low below the county’s average potential. The majority 70.5% of the sample households participate on FTC based extension services and the rest 29.5% do not participate. There is a significant variation between participant and non-participant in terms of benefit through crop yield, animal production, farm income, land management and soil fertility. FTCs in the study area have many challenges includes unavailability of diversified technology, low skill and knowledge of DAs, low farmers participation, lack of basic infrastructure, facilities, resources and others. FTCs need to be equipped with demonstration facilities, field, equipment and human resources.


Farmer Training Center, Southwest, Demonstration, Agricultural Technology


Amaje H. 2014. Problem and effectiveness of FTCs in southern Ethiopia. MSc thesis, Arbaminch university, department of geography and environmental studies

Gerba L, Girma K, Kristof V, Till S & Anna-Katharina H. 2019. Rhetorics and realities of participation: the Ethiopian agricultural extension system and its participatory turns. Critical Policy Studies. pp 1-20

Haile T. 2020. Review on Importance of Farmers Training Center in Ethiopia (FTC). African journal of political sciences volume 9 issue1: 1041.

Israel, G. D. 2012. Determining Sample Size. Agricultural Education and Communication Department, Florida Cooperative Extension Service, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences, University of Florida. Science and Education.

Lemma, T., Sehai, E. & Hoekstra, D. 2011. Status and capacity of farmer training centers (FTCs) in the improving productivity and market success (IPMS) pilot learning woredas (PLWs).

Leta, G. 2018. The Ethiopian Agricultural Extension System and Its Role as a ‘Development Actor: Cases from Southwestern Ethiopia.” Dissertation, Center for Development Research (ZEF), University of Bonn.

Leykun, D & Jemma, H. 2014. Econometric analysis of factors affecting market participation of smallholder farming in Central Ethiopia. Adama Science and Technology University, Haramaya University Munich Personal RePEc Archive, Online at

Meja, M. & Geta, E. 2017. Analyzing Farmers‟ Training Centers through Integrated Innovative Capacity Building and Technologies Transfer; A Case Study of Damot Gale District Woliata Zone Ethiopia. International Journal of Environmental Sciences, Volume 6, pp. 94-100.

Mekuria W. 2014. Effectiveness of Modular Training at Farmers’ Training Center: Evidence from Fogera District, South Gondar Zone, Ethiopia American Journal of Rural Development, vol. 2, no. 3 (2014): 46-52. doi: 10.12691/ajrd-2-3-2.

Melkamu K., Seyoum A & Eshetu S. 2022. Determinants of functionality level of farmers training centers in north-west Ethiopia. heliyon vol 8(10).

MoARD (Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development). 2009. Farmers Training Centers Operational Manual, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

Muluken G and Maria S. 2018. Impact of Farmers’ Training Centres on Household Income: Evidence from Propensity Score Matching in Eastern Ethiopia. Soc. Sci., 7 (4):1-12. doi: 10.3390/socsci7010004

Suleymen A, Tesfaye L , Fekadu B. 2021. Relevance and Effectiveness of Farmer Training Centers (Ftcs) in Gurewa District, East Hararghe Zone, Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. Brazilian Journal of Policy and Development, v. 3, n. 1, p. 44-82,



  • There are currently no refbacks.

Copyright (c) 2024 Research & Reviews: Journal of Botany